What causes snoring and what snoring treatments are available?
Snoring is a very common condition, in fact, it affects 45% of all adults. You are not alone! The right snoring treatment for you depends on the cause of your snoring. What works for one person may not work for another. We suggest making an appointment to see one of our sleep specialists for a personalised assessment and treatment plan that suits your individual situation.
Common Snoring Causes
In all cases, snoring is caused by an obstruction in the airway. However, this obstruction can be triggered by several different factors which could include any of the following:
- Nose allergies or sensitivities
- A blocked nasal airway
- Large tonsils, palate or uvula
- Weak throat and tongue muscles
- Bulky throat tissues
There is no ‘one size fits all’ here at Auckland Sleep, so treatment is dependant on the cause of your snoring. Our sleep specialist will perform a camera examination of your throat and will recommend treatment dependant on the results of that examination.
Lifestyle adjustments and home remedies that may alleviate snoring include:
- Lose weight through dietary changes and regular exercise
- Reduce overall alcohol intake and avoid drinking four hours prior to bedtime
- Avoid taking sleeping pills and sedative antihistamines
- Keep a regular sleeping pattern
- Avoid sleeping on your back if you can
- Quit smoking
- Elevate the head of your bed by four inches